Sunday, May 29, 2011

Embellished Toddler Tee & Capris

My niece is turning one today! In honor of her birthday, I embellished a ruffled tee shirt and capris that I purchased at Kohls. I like their Jumping Beans line of infant and toddler clothing because so far they have run true-to-size and they don't shrink after the initial wash. I started with some fabric scraps that my sister and I both love. I cut a 1 1/2 inch strip of fabric that was about 12 inches long. I folded over the edges and ironed it to form an enclosed strip for a ruffle. Then I sewed a straight stitch down the middle of it to keep the fabric together. Next I sewed down the middle of it again, on the thinnest part of the fabric, using the longest straight stitch. Then I gathered the fabric and, folding the ends under, sewed the new ruffle in the middle of original white ruffles.

Next I cut a heart shape out of scrap paper and used that as a pattern to cut the fabric and fusible webbing. After peeling the paper backing off of the heart, I ironed it onto the front of the tee shirt after first making sure that it was in the middle of the front of the shirt. Because the shirt is knit, I ironed a square of fabric stabilizer onto the inside of the front of the shirt. Then I used a decorative stitch to sew the heart onto the shirt.
I had some heart buttons so I sewed them onto each end of the new ruffle and I replaced the original non-functioning button on the front of the pants. I also sewed the hearts onto the front pockets and the outside of the legs of the capris.  I like how it turned out ~ a sweet heart outfit for a loved little girl.

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!

Todays Creative Blog

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! I'm so glad you posted this as I tried to embellish a babygrow recently, the sewing machine just ate it up - I think I need the stabiliser! Is that the stitch and tear stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wendy! Thank you for your sweet comment. Yes, the iron-on stitch and tear-away stabilizer is the best thing for machine embroidering on knits. It will help you out so much! I have used it on lots of baby onesies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! Happy birthday to your niece :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, how sweet! That looks gorgeous, what a great job! Thanks so much for linking this up at Hazel & Honeysuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is gorgeous! i'd love to try this! what is the stabiliser stuff called babe? x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from people dropping by my blog!